Monday, January 21, 2019

Monday Morning Memo: Praise God!

Well, this past week has brought on a range of emotions.  A week ago yesterday, my 91 year old father took his last breath on earth…and his first breath in Heaven.  I am so thankful that I was able to be with him in his final moments.  

So many things ran through my mind after he passed away.  I felt relief…because he wasn’t suffering anymore.  I felt joy…because I knew he was receiving his eternal reward.  I felt sadness…because I would no longer see him here on this earth.  I felt jealous…because I knew he was probably hugging my mom…and oh how I miss her.

So many feelings to digest and deal with throughout the week as arrangements were made for his viewing and funeral.  My parents had made it much easier on us since they had prearranged their funerals and my dad had even listed exactly what he wanted for his service.  He was always a man who did his work with excellence and that was even apparent as he made known his final wishes.

As we greeted those who were so kind to come and offer their condolences, the theme was the same.  Over and over again we heard that as a result of Dad’s ministry…many had accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior.  Because of Dad’s ministry…marriages were saved.  Because of Dad’s ministry…some had become pastors and missionaries. Because of Dad’s ministry…many were serving their Jesus in their daily walk.  Dad had probably one of the greatest ministries that I have ever known. The churches he ministered in grew in number and in converts and many lives were changed.

At this point in this post, you may be thinking that my dad was perfect.  He was not.  He had issues and quirks that sometimes drove me crazy.  He and I butted heads different times because we didn’t see eye-to-eye on things and of course, I was usually right J  But, he would have probably disagreed with that!

But do you know what?  Even though my dad wasn’t perfect…God used him in a mighty way for His Kingdom.  He was able to take an imperfect child of His to reach so many.  My dad didn’t have to become perfect to be a vessel that God could use to bring Him glory…he just had to be willing.

That, my friend, gives me hope.  It is so easy for me to get bogged down with all of my issues and quirks and when Satan tells me that I’m not worthy to be God’s vessel…I believe him.  I take my eyes off of my Savior and put them on myself and that’s when all my imperfections just seem insurmountable and I want to give up.

Praise God…He doesn’t require perfection.  Praise God…He has a plan to use my short-comings for His glory.  Praise God…He loves me just the way I am…with all my faults and failures.  Praise God…He is able to do far more with and through me than I can even imagine. Praise God…that I was raised in a Christian home by imperfect parents who were willing to allow God to use them. 

Dad and Mom…until we meet again someday on the streets of gold…may I follow in your footsteps, allowing God to work in a mighty way in and through me for His Kingdom.  

Praise God!

“If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God.  If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Peter 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment