Monday, January 7, 2019

Monday Morning Memo: Excuses

For several months, I have felt unsettled.  This isn’t unusual for me, especially following a surgery; and since I had two surgeries in a ten-month period, it really hasn’t surprised me.  It usually takes so much out of me during recoveries, that I often end up feeling depleted in many ways.

As my strength has started to return these past months, the unsettledness started as I began to seek where the Lord is leading me in my ministry.  Is He going to open up doors for a different area to serve Him…or am I to continue doing what I am doing?  I even asked our small group from church to pray that I would sense His leading and that I would be willing to serve Him in whatever opportunities came my way. 

But when I was sent a message the end of November asking if I would fill the pulpit for a pastor on December 30th, my first thought was to answer “No”.  I immediately had all kinds of excuses go through my mind:

1.     Our daughter would still be visiting from NC, so I wanted to worship with her at our own church.
2.   We were to have several family activities that week prior to that Sunday and I knew I would be tired and wouldn’t have a lot of prep time.
3.    I had not preached since my last surgery, and I just wasn’t sure my mind was in the right place yet to share the Word from the pulpit.

I’m sure you get the idea.  The Lord was opening a door…and I was immediately ready to slam it shut.  

I then thought about how those excuses would sound if I was standing face to face with Jesus.  I’m guessing He might just roll His eyes, maybe shake His head and say, “LuAnn, you’ve been praying for open doors…so I give you one…and you immediately have every excuse why you can’t walk through it.  Don’t you think I can give you the power and strength needed for that day?”

I asked the Lord to forgive me for my excuses and for my lack of trust for His power…and then I answered that “YES” I would be able to help this pastor out.  I immediately began praying for direction as to what I should share with this congregation and I don’t know when I have felt so led by the Holy Spirit.  He guided me every step of the way and I thoroughly enjoyed my time of preparation.

Why am I often so quick to rattle off excuses when the Lord opens a door for me?  Why do I pray for direction, but then when He gives it to me, I don’t trust Him to walk through the door with me?  You know, I often wonder why the Israelites were always second guessing what they were told to do…I’m not sure I’m much better!

There is a second part to this story…and I’ll share that with you next week.  For now, I’m wondering if maybe the Lord is opening a door for you to walk through, but you’re listing every reason you can think of as to why you should slam the door shut.  Believe me, I know where you are, and I just want to urge you to maybe rethink your excuses.  Would you want to list them if you were face to face with your Jesus?  If not, then why not start by telling Him “YES” and then let Him walk with you every step of the way.  I guarantee you that He will never let go of your hand…and who knows…you just might end up enjoying the journey! 


So, let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he’ll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet.

James 4:7-10 The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment