Monday, December 9, 2019

Monday Morning Memo: Our Event Planner

As I shared with you last week, our daughter was recently married.  The wedding was perfect and as I sat there…I was just amazed that all the details had been put together in approximately 2.5 months.  When our other daughter married, we worked on the specifics for a year, so I was quite hesitant that this wedding could be pulled together in such a short amount of time.  But I soon learned the magic words that would make it all possible…”wedding planner”.  

Erica is blessed to have a very talented friend who just happens to be an event planner.  Elisa normally does not do weddings, but since Erica’s wedding was going to be fairly small, she graciously agreed to take the assignment.  To say this woman was amazing…is an understatement.  In just a matter of a few days, she accomplished more than we could have done in months.  Why? Because she had the knowledge that we didn’t possess.  She knew who to contact…where to order supplies from…and what needed to be done to make sure the day was just what Erica wanted.

As I’ve reflected on these past months, I’ve realized that all of this wouldn’t have gone so smoothly if Erica hadn’t trusted Elisa.  If Erica had second- guessed every decision that her friend made…there would have been a lot of extra stress.  But her trust in Elisa amazed me.  I would ask her questions about the wedding, and Erica would often say, “I don’t know.  Elisa is taking care of that.”  My daughter trusted her without reserve…knowing that she was very capable of making her wedding-day dreams come true.  

But if I’m honest…it was hard for me to trust Elisa.  I think there are two reasons why this was true.  First, I had never met Erica’s friend, so I didn’t have any prior knowledge of her abilities.  Second, I am a control freak…there, I said it.  It is so hard for me to trust that someone else will take care of all of the details like I think I would…and so it is very difficult for me to completely trust.  I think it was a very good thing that Erica and Elisa live in North Carolina and I live in Indiana…because the distance made it impossible for me to be the annoying, overseeing mom J

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we had an event planner for our lives?  You know, someone who knew everything about us and could make sure that our plans and the timing of those plans were executed perfectly?  Someone who knew exactly what we needed…when we needed it…and just asked for our trust to let him or her do what they have been gifted to do.  Oh, wouldn’t that be amazing?

Oh wait…I guess we do have Someone like that in our lives, don’t we?  Christ is our event planner.  He is the One who knows what is best for us and wants to create moments, days, weeks and years which, if we trust Him and allow Him to work, will help us look more like Him.  

Of course, if you are a control freak like me…it may be easier said than done.  But think how much less stress we would have if we quit trying to second-guess everything He wants to do in our lives.  If we keep in mind that He has the knowledge that we don’t possess, we will hopefully come to the conclusion that we are a little crazy not to trust Him.  

So, I want to give a very special thank-you to Elisa…for making Erica and Robert’s day a dream come true.  And, I want to tell my Jesus thank-you…for loving a control freak like me…showing me patience as I continue to work on trusting Him completely.  He’s planning the ultimate event…the day I will see Him face to face.  But until then…I want Him to work out every detail perfectly…so that I will be the totally, devoted follower of His that I’m called to be.

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
Don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
He’s the one who will keep you on track.
Don’t assume that you know it all.”
Proverbs 3:5-7a. (The Message)



No comments:

Post a Comment