Monday, March 2, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: The Count

One of the awesome perks of going to Israel, was the fact that Dan and I went with 34 other people.  I know some who would think that size group might be a detriment, but we loved deepening our friendship with some and beginning new friendships with others.  Of course, we didn’t have the responsibility to make sure that all 36 were on the bus after each stop, so our leader, Chris, may have had different thoughts than ours on the size of the group!

At the beginning of each day and after every stop, Chris would walk through the bus counting heads.  I could see his lips moving as he said, “One, two, three, four”, etc. until he got to the total of 36.  After a few days of this, our faithful leader decided there had to be a better way, so each of us were assigned a number.  Then, when Chris would tell us to count off, the first person who was number one would yell out their number and that would progress as each person voiced their digit.  If one of the numbers wasn’t heard…we then had to find out where that person was.  Do you know what I realized?  If there was someone missing…we didn’t leave.  Chris didn’t say, “Oh well, losing one out of 36 isn’t bad.  They will eventually figure out where we are.”  Not once did I hear those words.  Each time, we waited until that person or persons were accounted for and then we could go on our way.

This hit me one day when we were driving by shepherds who were tending to their sheep and cattle in Israel.  The parable of the lost sheep in Luke 15 came to my mind which says, “So Jesus told them this story: ‘If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them gets lost, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he will joyfully carry it home on his shoulders. When he arrives, he will call together his friends and neighbors, saying, Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.  In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven’t strayed away!’”

I had read this parable many times before this trip, but after seeing the shepherds and sheep with my own eyes…it now means much more.  You see, I had always pictured this scene with beautiful, green lush pastures with a babbling brook…but that wasn’t what I was witnessing in Israel.  These shepherds were tending their flock in very rough, rocky terrain with very little “green” anywhere.  So, to go after one lost sheep isn’t a stroll in the park, it is more than likely grueling and very difficult.  But that shepherd knows how important each of their sheep is and makes the sacrifice to ensure that all are accounted for.

You may be wondering where I am going with all of this.  Well, just like the fact that Chris and these shepherds knew it was important that all in their “flock” were accounted for, our Heavenly Shepherd feels the same way about you…regardless of what kind of “sheep” you are.  It doesn’t matter how far you have strayed…or what it will take to get you back in the fold…Jesus is willing to do whatever He has to, to bring you back.  There isn’t anything you can do to make Him say, “Oh well, losing one isn’t bad.  I’ll just concentrate on the ones who are still here.”  And, just as this Scripture shares, your return home won’t be a time of chastisement or berating from Jesus because you were lost, instead He will be carrying you on his shoulders every step of the way.

If you feel you have strayed too far for Jesus to reach out and bring you “home”…you are so wrong.  He loves you more than you can imagine…and nothing will ever squelch that amazing, grace-filled love that He has for you.  He knows right where you are, but I know He would be so thrilled to have you look to Him today and yell out, “I’m here and I want to be accounted for!”  Oh, what rejoicing there will be!

My trip to Israel was definitely a trip of a lifetime…but trust me my friend…walking with my Jesus every day is even better and is a trip for all eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment