Monday, March 9, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: He Knew

It’s something I have said many times in my life, largely because of all of my health problems.  I’ve heard many others speak the same words over the years, either because of an unexpected illness or as a result of an event that occurred out of the blue.  For me, it’s usually said once the unforeseen detour is over and I am looking back on what all occurred.  It’s at that moment when these words often leave my lips, “It’s good I didn’t know beforehand what I would have to endure…because I would have said that I couldn’t survive it.” 

I couldn’t get those words out of my mind as I sat in the Garden of Gethsemane.  We had been given an amazing opportunity to have a large section of this garden to ourselves and as we entered this beautiful area, the gate was locked behind us so that no other groups would disturb us.  We then had over an hour to pray, reflect and communicate with our Jesus.  

It was during this time that it hit me.  It was something that I had always known, but I don’t think it had ever really sunk in before.  With tears streaming down my face…all I could say over and over in my mind was He knew!  He knew!  As He knelt in the Garden of Gethsemane…He knew!  It wasn’t anything like I have experienced, where I have been suddenly thrown into a detour and I had no choice but to keep plugging along.  No, Jesus knew what He was going to have to go through on the cross.  He knew that He would be spit on…whipped…jammed with a crown of thorns on His head…placed on a cross with spikes through his feet and hands…He knewAND HE STILL MADE THE DECISION TO PROCEED!  Why?  Because He loves you and me that much.

Honestly, that is a love I cannot comprehend.  He endured unbelievable suffering, not as a result of something He did wrong, but because of the wrong He knew you and I would do.  He allowed himself to be crucified…so that we can spend eternity in heaven with Him.  That my friend…just blows my mind.

I don’t deserve that kind of love, but that day in the Garden of Gethsemane, He wrapped His arms around me and I could almost hear Him say, “LuAnn, I knew…but you were worth it.  Every. Single. Person. on this earth was worth it.  I suffered so that everyone who asks for forgiveness can have their sins washed clean and can spend eternity with Me.  I knew…but you were worth it.”

There are so many people today who feel like they have gone too far off the path to be loved by Jesus.  They know all the times when they went against His plan for their life and they think they are beyond redemption.  That may be how you feel and if so, you couldn’t be more wrong.  He wouldn’t have made the choice to follow through with His Father’s plan…knowing the pain and suffering He would have to go through…to say that you aren’t worth it.

I came out of the Garden of Gethsemane that day, even more determined to make sure you know that Jesus died for you and desperately wants you to accept Him as your Lord and Savior.  All you have to do is say this prayer, “Dear Jesus, I believe that you died on the cross for my sins, were resurrected and are alive and well today.  I believe that you are the Son of God and that you deeply love me.  I confess that I am a sinner and I need you to forgive me and cleanse me from my sins.  I accept you as my Savior and want you to create a new and clean heart in me.  I now want to live every day for you and I know I will have eternal life with you because of what you did on Calvary’s cross for me.  Thank you, Jesus.  Amen.”  Yes, it’s that simple.

He knew what He would endure…but He loved you so much and knew you were worth it.  Don’t turn your back on Him today…because now YOU know what Jesus sacrificed for you.

“For this is how God loved the world: 
He gave his one and only Son, 
so that everyone who believes in him will not perish 
but have eternal life.  
God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, 
but to save the world through him.

John 3:16-17

1 comment:

  1. Loved this, thank you for sharing. As I entered the garden I was overwhelmed with emotion. All I could say was, "I am so sorry Lord, I helped nail you on that cross, and yet you forgive me, still. And my heart is full of remorse, yet bursting with gratitude.

    ReplyDelete