Monday, April 27, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: What If?

Because of what we are all currently experiencing in our world, it is so easy to become frustrated and at times…even a little ticked.  I know I’m perturbed that I am unable to worship in my church on Sundays, with my church family.  I’m exasperated that I can’t meet with my small group from church for our time of fellowship, prayer and Bible study.  I’m annoyed that I can’t go to a restaurant and actually eat inside its doors.  I’m frustrated that we can’t get in to see our elderly relatives that are living in facilities that have had to close their doors to visitors to try to keep their residents well.  And I’m really ticked I can’t be as close as I want to be with my children and grandchildren, hugging them and spending precious time with them.

There have been some positives.  Because we can’t go to our church on Sundays, we have been spending that time not only watching our service online…but several others online also.  Life has been at a slower pace which has allowed more time to read, try new recipes, work on that puzzle I wrote about last week and learn how to put together a pick up order at our grocery store (yes, I’m a little behind the times!). 


I was thinking about all of this the other day when I came across this graphic.  It made me start thinking about some other What if’s

         What if  as a result of this pandemic…families are drawn closer together because their schedules aren’t so crazy running from one sports event or practice to another…

         What if  as a result of this pandemic…families are drawn closer together because their schedules aren’t so crazy and they begin to realize what is really important in life…

         What if  as a result of this pandemic…families are drawn closer together because their schedules aren’t so crazy and they realize what is really important in life, and they find they have more time to tune in to the online church services that are now being offered.

         What if  as a result of this pandemic, families are drawn closer together because their schedules aren’t so crazy and they realize what is really important in life, and they find they have more time to tune in to the online church services that are being offered and as a result, they hear about the hope of the gospel.  And…

         What if  as a result of this pandemic, families are drawn closer together because their schedules aren’t so crazy and they realize what is really important in life, and they find they have more time to tune in to the online church services that are being offered and as a result, they hear about the hope of the gospel, their hearts are softened and they come to know our Jesus and accept Him as their Lord and Savior?

Trust me…this is only one “What if?” scenario I could list here.  I can think of many.  And before you remind me of all of the tragic loss of life, job loss and financial loss there has been as a result of this horrible virus, I want to make sure you know that I understand all of that and I never want to act oblivious to all the pain it has caused.  But I think it is important that we stop and think of the positives that could transpire as a result of the “sacrifices” we are making now.

What if?  Will all of this craziness and quarantining and not being able to go to the restaurant or sporting event that we want to go to or the inability to worship together in our church building…be worth it?  Each person has to answer that question for his or her self.  I just know that we serve a God who is SO powerful and can work miracles even during times of frustration, despair and being ticked off.  He, unlike us, has NO limitations! 

 “You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. 
He brought me to this position 
so I could save the lives of many people.

Genesis 50:20


No comments:

Post a Comment