Monday, May 4, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: "Fun" Times

I was going through a closet this past weekend and came across it once again.  Every time I see it…I wonder why I’m still holding on to it.  But I just can’t discard something that makes me smile.  Just looking at it…takes me back to when a young, blonde haired, blue eyed little boy used to wear it.

"I'm Superman!"
This picture that I am sharing with you today…won’t mean much to anyone else.  To others, it looks like a wrinkled t-shirt and an old towel that, of course, is being held onto the shirt with two yellow diaper pins.  But what looks like something that should be discarded…is actually something very priceless to me.  This, my friends, is a put-together-by-mom Superman cape that our young son wore many times as he “flew” through the house yelling, “I’m Superman!” at the top of his lungs!  

That curious, rambunctious little boy is now a grown man who is married and has two blonde haired, blue eyed little girls of his own.  He is now learning the world of princesses, Minnie Mouse and tea parties.  I’m doubtful that he has very many occasions to don a cape…but I’m guessing those two precious girls still think he is Superman 

Oh, how I love reminiscing about those fun days many years ago, when we were raising our two daughters and one son.   They were (and still are!) such precious gifts from God and I have thanked Him over and over again for allowing us to be their parents.

I find it interesting though, that when I look back at those days…I use the word “fun” to describe the life we had.  If I’m honest…I’m rather doubtful that I would have used that word at the end of every day when I was in the middle of diapers, braces and mounds of laundry.  Parenting was hard…really hard…and there were many days when the highlight of my day was seeing them fast asleep at night so I could have some peace and quiet.  I remember how I hated to go to bed some nights because I knew when I woke up in the morning, I would have to do it all over again.  It was exhausting.  There were days when I probably resorted to counting the seconds until naptime and then bedtime and just hoped they and I would be alive at the end of the day.

We made many mistakes as parents and I often wish we could go back to do things differently, but of course, that is impossible.  But even with all of our faults and failures…all three have grown to be productive, Jesus-serving adults and we are so proud of them.

Why am I sharing about this today?  Well, parents of young children have been on my mind so much during this time of quarantine.  I just can’t imagine how exhausted many of you have to be, trying to be not only your kids’ parent…but now their teacher and lunch lady/man too… all while possibly trying to do your job from home.  I’m confident that your days are long, tiring and seem to have 36 hours instead of 24.  I know that it is easy to become overwhelmed when you are being pulled in so many different directions.  

And, if you are anything like me…I’m guessing some of you may be struggling with some guilt…feeling like you aren’t doing everything that you should be doing.  I want to encourage you.  I want you to know that you WILL get through this time and your children WILL be ok…even if you fall short at times.  God gave you those kids because He knew you could handle them during this season of life with His help…and He is always so gracious to step in and cover our children with His love during those times when we don’t feel like parent of the year.

Believe it or not…the day may come when you will look back on this time and use the word “fun” to describe moments you remember from the pandemic. God has a way of fading some of the bad times from our memory…so that He can bring to mind the blessings from our journey.  God doesn’t expect you to be a perfect parent…He just wants you to be a devoted follower of His and He will so willingly guide you in all other areas. 

I neatly folded up the Superman cape and put it back on the shelf where it has now been for 25 years.  The next time I clean out that closet, I’m sure I will unfold it and smile as I once again, “see” our young son running through the house…desiring to save the world.   Do I long to return to those days of raising three young children?  Probably not.  Because I have now discovered that grandchildren are so much more fun and much easier to spoil and then send home 

“Children are a gift from the Lord;
They are a reward from him.”
Psalm 127:3

No comments:

Post a Comment