Monday, May 11, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: No Need to Fear!

As I’m sure you know, yesterday was Mother’s Day and it made me do some reminiscing.  It started after I shared with you last week about our “superman” son, because I received a lot of feedback from that post…parents who are stressed to the max these days and wondering if they and their children will survive.

As a result, I feel led to spend the next three weeks, sharing with you three devotionals from my first book, Image Seeker, in which I wrote about moments with our children as they were growing up.  Moments of time that not only had a part in shaping them, but shaping and teaching me as their mom.  At the end of each devotional, I’ll include a couple of questions to ponder this coming week.  I hope you enjoy!

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord, “they are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11).

First Day of School

1989.  I remember the year just like it was yesterday.  Our first-born child was heading off to kindergarten and excitement was in the air. I was asked often by friends how I was handling this first milestone in the life of our daughter, and I would always reply that we were all ready.  Erica was a very bright child who carried on wonderful conversations with adults at the age of two, so by five she was ready for the challenge - or so we thought!
                                                                                 
The first day of school arrived and the movie camera was rolling.  A day like this just had to be recorded so that we could relive the happy memories for years to come.  My husband got into position to capture the moment on film as I walked Erica out to meet the big yellow school bus. As we neared the road, her precious little hand squeezed mine with all her might.  I looked down, and her beautiful big eyes told the whole story - the reality of leaving home to enter the big world without her mom and dad was taking its toll.

We approached the bus door and I gave a big smile and wave to the bus driver.  I told Erica goodbye and helped her onto the bus so she could begin her years of education.  Unfortunately, Erica had different plans.  As I backed away from the bus, she jumped back off and ran to me, falling into my arms, crying uncontrollably.  I’m not sure whose heart was hurting worse at that time – hers or mine – but I knew what I had to do.  Once again, I put her back on the bus and yes, once again, off she came.  At that point, fighting back tears myself, I had to enlist the help of the bus driver.  I placed Erica on the bus for the third time and the driver held onto her as she closed the door and drove off.

As hard as it was, I knew that day that I had to make Erica face the unknown.  It would have been so much easier on me to let her stay home under my watchful eye.  But I knew that what seemed easier for me on that day, wouldn’t be the best thing for Erica’s future.  Part of starting school was learning that just like a turtle, we will never make it very far in life unless we learn to stick out our necks!

As I think back to that day, I realize how often I react to the unknown just like Erica did those many years ago.  God wants me to step out of my comfort zone to grow and become more like Him, but I often “jump back off the bus”, running for protection in His arms.  I fail to remember that He knows what is best for me and keeps making me face the unsettling circumstances for my own good. 

We read in Zechariah 13:9, “I will bring that group through the fire and make them pure. I will refine them like silver and purify them like gold. They will call on my name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘These are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is our God.’”  The refining process isn’t always easy, but the final product is worth the heat!

Erica began that refining process many years ago as she had to face that first day of kindergarten.  That infamous day was just the beginning of many situations throughout her life that would mold her and shape her into the wonderful young woman that she is today!  I’m praying that I will learn from her example of what God can do in my life if I just “stay on the bus”!

Image Seeker Prayer – “Father, why am I often so fearful of the unknown, wanting to stay in your arms instead of stepping out of my comfort zone?  Help me to realize that even when You want me to ‘stick out my neck’, You will never let go of my hand!” 
  
Questions to ponder this week:  

Is there any situation in your life that is currently causing you to be fearful?  If so, what is keeping you from giving it to the Lord?

What is Christ asking you to do today that will require “sticking out your neck” for Him?  Why not tell Him YES and watch Him work in mighty ways through you!


No comments:

Post a Comment