Monday, May 24, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: Lead Me

Do you know that moment when you read something, and you feel like God put the words there just for you?  It’s not so bad when what you are reading gives you a warm fuzzy feeling; but it isn’t nearly as much fun when the words slap you right between the eyes.

 

This is what happened to me recently.  The words?  A quote from Corrie Ten Boom: “Don’t bother to give God directions, just report for duty.”  Oh man…did I have to read that?  Why couldn’t I have read the verse, “Thou shalt not steal”?  I don’t ever struggle with wanting to steal.  Or why couldn’t God have impressed on me the saying, “Stressed spelled backwards is desserts”?  Now THERE is something to make me feel good and celebrate!

 

No, He led me to read something that made me squirm, because if I reflect on some of my recent prayers, they have sounded more like a to-do list for God, instead of seeking His direction.  Why do I do that?  Why is it so easy to fall into the trap of telling Him what I think He should do?

 

I know He wants me to pour out my heart to Him.  I know He loves to hear my desires and my dreams; but the problem arises when I am more concerned with what I want than what He wants.  When my today and my tomorrow is spent instructing Him to do what would make me happy…there is a problem.  The reason is that what I think will make me happy, may not be good for me at all.  What I think should happen in the lives of my loved ones, may not be beneficial to them in the long run.  He can see my tomorrows and the tomorrows of my family and friends and so it is in Him that I need to put my faith and trust.

 

As I have reflected on some of my recent conversations with God, I have realized that many of my sentences began with, “Lord, please do…..”, or “Lord, I need you to…” or “Father, they need you to…”  I’m beginning to think that maybe my prayer time might be more productive if more of my sentences consisted of, “Lord, open my mind to what you have to say”, and “Father, work your way and Your will in my life and in the lives of my family”.  In doing this, I am giving Him free reign to do with me as He sees best.

 

Scary?  You bet it is; especially for a control freak like me.  But I can’t think of anyone in this world that I would rather trust with my today and my tomorrow than the One who created me.  So, my plan this week is to enter into His presence, bow down at His throne and just say the words, “Father, I’m reporting for duty.  Lead me where you want me to go.”

 

“Lead me by your truth and teach me,  

for you are the God who saves me.    

All day long I put my hope in you.”

Psalm 25:5 (NLT)


 

Don’t forget, if you would like to join me in my study of the book of James, you can find my YouTube channelImage Seeker, at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0szlDSgNBtFuzzNLBWzwMA.  I posted another teaching video this morning, “God’s Power in Us!”.  Check it out today!

 

If you would like encouraging thoughts to help you in your daily walk with Jesus, check out and “Like” my new Facebook page, “Image Seeker”…you can find it at https://www.facebook.com/Image-Seeker-109914611136211/news_feed.  

 

And, if you aren’t on Facebook but would still like to see encouraging posts and notices of new videos…”Follow” me on Instagram.  Just search for “theimageseeker”

No comments:

Post a Comment