Monday, November 29, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: Lost...and Found!


It was just an earring.  In fact…it was a really cheap earring.  It was one of those that you buy hooked to a card…with several other pairs.  Regardless of the cost, it was an earring I liked and wore often.  So, when it came up missing a few weeks ago…I was bummed.

I had put both earrings on that morning but discovered during the day that one was gone.  I had just been outside clearing leaves away from my plants, so I figured it had fallen off as I was working.  Knowing it was a long shot that I could find it…I went outside anyway and retraced my steps.  Much to my chagrin…it was nowhere to be found.

I debated as to whether I should keep the one lone earring that was left, but finally decided to hold onto it for at least a few weeks, just in case Dan spotted it as he was working outside.  Maybe, just maybe, he would see something shiny and the lost would be found.

Fast forward two weeks.  I went to visit my mother-in-law who lives in a retirement home and as I was leaving, I stopped to talk to the receptionist.  While we were visiting, a woman walked into the home with her young boys and she approached the front desk.  I heard her tell the receptionist that they had been walking past the facility and found an earring.  She thought maybe it belonged to one of the residents and wanted to make sure and turn it in.  I thought that was really nice of her and I left and went home.

Later, I began thinking about what had happened that day.  Since I was convinced I had lost my earring here at home, I hadn’t given it any thought that the earring which was turned in was the one I had lost.  But as I thought back to the day when the earring went missing, I realized I had gone to see my mother-in-law that morning, before working outside.  Now, my interest was piqued!

A couple days later, armed with the earring I had in my possession, I returned to the Home and asked the receptionist if she still had the earring.  There it was on her desk and as she picked it up…I took my earring out of my pocket.  It was a match!  I stood there in shock.

What are the odds that all the events of that day lined up?

1.    I just happened to go see my mother-in-law the day the earring was turned in.  The facility was actually closed due to Covid, but since I am considered an Essential Caregiver, I was allowed entrance.


2.   I stopped to talk with the receptionist before leaving.  Confession here…I’m usually in a hurry to leave because you know…I have things to do   But for some reason that day I stood and talked with her for quite some time.  If I would have left immediately like I usually do…I wouldn’t have been there when the earring was brought in.  As a result, I never would have known it was there.


3.   The woman and her young boys just happened to be walking past the facility that day and just happened to see this earring which had been laying there for two weeks.  Instead of leaving it on the ground…or throwing it away…they took the time to take it into the Home…at exactly the same time I was standing in the lobby.


4.   The earring was not damaged at all…even though it had been outside where cars are constantly driving in and out.  The only thing wrong was that the back of the earring was missing…but I could easily replace that.

 

Isn’t it amazing that God cares about even the little things in our life?  Isn’t it amazing that with all the horrendous, earth-shattering happenings that are going on in our world…He still takes the time to show us how much He loves us? 

For me, I think God allowed all this to happen to remind me that He sees me…He knows everything about me and cares about every detail.  Oh, how I needed this reminder and maybe you do too.  If you are feeling alone…He sees you.  If you are feeling lost…He never leaves your side.  If you need direction…He will guide you every step of the way.  Oh, how He loves you and me!

“For the mountains may move
    and the hills disappear,
but even then my faithful love for you will remain.
    My covenant of blessing will never be broken,”
    says the Lord, who has mercy on you.

Isaiah 54:10


By the way…if you haven’t already done so…please check out my latest videos on my YouTube channel, Image Seeker, where we are studying the Fruit of the Spirit.  The last lesson in this series will be posted this week…so make sure you are all caught up! You can check them out at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0szlDSgNBtFuzzNLBWzwMA

No comments:

Post a Comment