Monday, December 13, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: Miracle Moments I

2021 has been another difficult year in our world, and it has been easy for many to become discouraged.  I think in many minds, 2020 was the year to just “endure” and once we made it through those months, life would return to normal.  If that was your thought…you must be very disappointed in 2021.

Last week I shared about an experience I had with my mother many years ago and I was overwhelmed with the response I received.  As I’ve thought about that this past week, I have concluded that it was because it was a positive message of how God can show up in a mighty way…even in our day-to-day messy life.  We all need to be reminded of the fact that God sees us…He cares about us…and nothing we are going through is missed by Him.  And…nothing, absolutely nothing, is beyond His control.

So, I feel led to use the last three weeks of 2021, to share with you a message of hope, using another story of how God used my mom and Alzheimer’s to touch me.  My prayer is that my words will hopefully prepare you for 2022…helping you to remember that we serve a God with unending power…unending hope…unending ability to still perform miracles that are beyond our ability to comprehend.  Because you see…miracle moments are everywhere…we just need to make sure we are looking for them.



Miracle Moments – I

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think (Ephesians 3:20).

 

I often hear people question why we don’t see amazing, mind-blowing miracles today like those witnessed in Biblical times.  We don’t hear about someone feeding 5000 people with one slab of ribs and a piece of cornbread.  We don’t come in contact with a person who was blind all their life but had their sight restored by just a touch of a hand.  And we surely don’t turn on the evening news to hear that a neighbor of ours has been raised from the dead, after taking his last breath four days prior.  If events like this are happening, the general public is not getting the message.

Does that mean God isn’t capable of performing miracles in our day?  Does it mean those kinds of miraculous events were only for the Biblical times and we just aren’t blessed enough to experience it today?  The answer to those questions is no.  God is capable and He is still in the miracle blessing business.  I believe He wants nothing more than to shower us with His blessings and reveal to us His power that never runs out every single day.

So, the question then becomes, why aren’t we seeing the miracles that God is doing in our midst?  Unfortunately, I believe the answer might be that we aren’t looking.  We are so busy; we have become so wrapped up in our day-to-day activities that we don’t look for His hand in our life.  I’m afraid our faith is also not where it should be. As a result, we don’t expect Him to work, and it never occurs to us that He is able to do far more than we ever dreamed or hoped.  I think we often forget how big our God is and that there is nothing that He can’t accomplish.

Miracles come in all sizes.  They may be an event such as physical healing that occurs and lasts for a lifetime.  Or they may be what I like to call “miracle moments”.  Moments in time, when something happens that can’t be explained through medicine, wisdom or coincidence, but are surely a result of the hand of God.

One of the greatest, most powerful miracle moments occurred in my life in 2009 at the bedside of my dying mother.  The time span was probably no more than three minutes from when the miracle began to when it ended and if I hadn’t been watching, I easily could have missed it.   But those precious moments are something I will never forget.  That day, God chose to show me His power as only He can do.

Be on the lookout today for “miracle moments” that God just might send your way.  He is able to do far more than you can even imagine and today just might be the day that you will be talking about for many years to come!

My Jesus Prayer

Jesus, it is so easy for me to become self-focused and forget to watch for Your mighty hand at work during my day.  Keep me focused and always looking upward so I don’t miss a “miracle moment”!

 

By the way…if you haven’t already done so…please check out my latest videos on my YouTube channel, Image Seeker, where we studied the Fruit of the Spirit.  The entire series is there so you can watch it any time of the day or night by yourself or with your small group!  You can check them out at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0szlDSgNBtFuzzNLBWzwMA

No comments:

Post a Comment