Monday, December 27, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: Miracle Moments III

 

I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done (Psalm 9:1).

 

If I am completely honest, I had mixed feelings on Thursday, August 13th, 2009, when I received a phone call informing me that my mom had taken a turn for the worse.  As I drove to be by her bedside, I really wasn’t sure how to pray.  The thought of losing my mother from this earth overwhelmed me, but the realization that in death she would have a new, whole body and mind with Jesus was healing to my soul.  She had made it clear to us as we grew up that her focus was on her Lord and Savior, and she was willing to do whatever He asked of her.  She had shared with me that in every decision she made, she wanted to make sure it honored her Jesus and would have a positive impact on eternity.  Knowing that was her desire, I knew it was selfish of me to want her to remain on this earth.  I knew of no one else who deserved more to be welcomed into heaven with the words, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.”

I entered her room and the scene was hard to observe.  The nurses were telling us she had suffered another stroke and could no longer swallow or speak.  Her eyes stared blankly at the ceiling and there was no recognition on her part that her family was by her side.  We did our best to keep our conversation on a positive note not knowing for sure whether or not she could hear us.

Then, out of the blue and much to my surprise, I saw her eyes begin to move.  Not only were they moving but they were actually following me as I walked around the room.   I remember thinking that maybe I wasn’t seeing clearly or that it was just my imagination, but when I looked again it was clear that I was looking into the face of the mom I had known for so many years.  Even though she couldn’t speak, it was obvious she was trying to convey a message to me.

As tears fell, I looked at her and said, “Mom, you know everything that is going on right now, don’t you?”  And, as unbelievable as it seemed at the moment, with everything she had left in her, she shook her head yes and attempted the slightest smile.  I then moved to the end of her bed and once again, her eyes followed my every move.  

I realized at that point that I more than likely had a very small window of opportunity to talk to her, so I knew exactly what I wanted to say.  I looked into her beautiful eyes and said, “Mom, I just want you to know how much I love you.”  No sooner had the words left my mouth than my mom did something I will never forget.  She winked at me.  I couldn’t believe it.  In that instant, I knew God had performed this “miracle moment” so that my mom could tell me she loved me one last time.  She couldn’t speak, but she could wink and what a gift that was to me.

Just as quickly as the miracle happened, it was over.  Her eyes glazed back over, and she was back in the world I could not enter.  But at that point, I knew it wouldn’t be long until she would meet her Jesus face to face.

Two days later, her family who had gone before her, along with her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, greeted my mom on the streets of gold in heaven. No more anxiety.  No more confusion.  She was finally whole. 

Miracle.  It may be an overused word in our vocabulary but for me, it is the only word that is appropriate for this experience.   I have no doubt it was an act of God, and it was truly amazing, extraordinary and unexpected.  

What amazes me about this event is the fact that the Creator of the universe, the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, my Jesus, cared enough about me to bless me with this miracle.  I didn’t deserve it and I surely didn’t do anything to earn it; but it was given to me because He knows me so well and knew what occurrence would be miraculous to me.  I also believe He orchestrated this miracle moment not only to remind me of my mom’s love for me, but to whisper in my ear that I am also His child whom He dearly loves. He wanted me to know He would hold me in His arms in the difficult days that followed.   

Do you want to see miracles happen today?  Look around you.  Be watchful.  I think too often we are looking for an earth-shattering miracle to take place and we miss the miracle moment.  You may not see a withered hand healed, but you just might experience a blessing far greater than you could ever imagine!

My Jesus Prayer

Jesus, thank you so much for shining Your light in my darkest moments.  Help me to rest in Your care when sorrow overwhelms me, but keep me mindful that Your blessings may be right around the bend on my journey with You.



By the way, check out my YouTube Christmas message and then please share it with your friends.  Time is of the essence and we need to let others know about our Jesus! You can find it at: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0MNguffUtw

No comments:

Post a Comment