Monday, September 7, 2015

Monday Morning Memo: The Best Laid Plans Part 2

I hadn’t planned on having a “Part 2” to my Monday Morning Memo from last week…but once again…God had different plans.

As I shared last week, we were supposed to leave on vacation on August 29th, but due to both Dan and I injuring our backs, we were unable to leave for the first “leg” of our trip.  We actually had three “legs” planned so we decided it was best to wait until this past Tuesday to head to our second destination.

At least that was the plan.  Once again, everything was changed when we received a phone call Monday afternoon, informing us that Dan’s mom had been found in her bed and couldn’t be woke.  Long story short…she was in a diabetic coma, her sugar count was 26 and had been in her bed since the night before.

EMS was called and she was taken to an area hospital, which was overloaded with patients.  She spent her first 26 hours in the ER since there were no beds available.   Patients lined the halls of the ER waiting for a more private area.  We felt blessed that she at least had a cubicle!

We are thrilled to say that mom is now doing much better and is back in the Skilled Care area of her retirement home until she regains her strength.  As I have shared, she just had a knee replacement six weeks ago, so she has endured a lot of stress on her body recently and just needs to recuperate for a while longer.

At this point, we were so thankful that we hadn’t been out of state when this happened.  We had no idea this was in our future…but fortunately God knew.

The third destination we had planned didn’t begin until Friday so we were fairly confident that we would at least be able to leave at that point.  This was to be the highlight of our vacation, spending time with relatives in Iowa, so we were more than willing to give up the other locations to be able to make it to this last stop.

Wouldn’t you know it…Wednesday morning I woke up and from the moment I opened my eyes, I felt the Lord telling me that we were not supposed to go to Iowa either.  Dan’s back was much better but mine was still far from healed and I knew that riding in a car for an entire day probably wasn’t going to speed my recovery.  Oh how I dreaded telling our cousins that we couldn’t visit and to be honest, I really struggled with having to give up our final arrangements. 

I just couldn’t understand why the Lord would stop us from something we had so looked forward to doing.  So before you begin to think that I graciously accepted all the detours we faced these past days, I have to say that I did not.  I was a guest at my own pity parties several times.  I know that really is ridiculous when in the scheme of things, my calendar changes were not that critical, but I allowed my humanness to take over and skew my thinking. My least favorite part of vacation has always been the unpacking when we arrive home.  Unfortunately, I have found something even less pleasant…having to unpack when you haven’t gone anywhere!  It just didn’t make sense to me and I couldn’t figure out why we were being kept from leaving.

That is until Saturday morning.  Soon after we woke, Dan received a text from one of our employees saying that he was very ill and couldn’t work.  With two others of our staff also out of town, it was imperative that Dan be at work.  We had no idea that this would take place…but fortunately God knew.

I sure hope that you are stronger than I am…and that you aren’t the guest at your own pity party.  But if you are…remember that God still loves you and all He asks is that you trust Him with the plans for your day.  If your day seems to be filled with detours…you can rest in the fact that God knows what is just beyond the horizon and will make sure and direct you on the journey that is best for you.  It may not make sense and it may not be what you would choose, but knowing that He is in control and wants the very best for you…makes it a little easier.  Remember, He just may be keeping you from something far worse, by diverting your steps in another direction.  You can’t see around the corner…but fortunately God can!

 “We can make our plans,
    but the Lord determines our steps.”
Proverbs 16:9

 “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord.
“They are plans for good and not for disaster,
to give you a future and a hope.”

Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment