Monday, September 21, 2015

Monday Morning Memo: In His Hands

I may have told you once or twice before that I happen to have the most adorable, smartest and talented grandson. At 16 months old, he has completely stolen my heart and every precious moment I have with him is such a wonderful gift from God.

One of my favorite things to do with him (sometime to the chagrin of my daughter) is to see what he will attempt to repeat after me.  He was in our home a few days ago, and I was thrilled when he began to say “Peek boo”….which of course was a shorter version of my saying peek-a-boo.  Yes, I happen to think he is a genius.

Of course I’m hoping that he only picks up the positive things I say and do…and not the negative.  His eyes and ears aren’t able to filter out those attributes of mine that aren’t pleasing to the Lord.  It is so important for me to remember that how I behave and how I respond to life’s “happenings” will help mold him either positively or negatively.  God has entrusted me with a huge responsibility by allowing me the role of “grandma” in this cherished boy’s life.

This reminds me of a sign I read while on vacation last spring.  It said, “Live in such a way that those who know you but don’t know God, will come to know God because they know you.”  




I remember getting tears in my eyes when I first read those powerful words and they have returned now as I type, because I fall so short in living out this reminder.   Oh it’s not too hard when I’m all cleaned up and have my Christian friends surrounding me.  But in the day-to-day grind of living…I’m afraid others don’t always see Him in me.  They see someone who has so many rough edges and often allows my responses to be “human” instead of godly.  Unfortunately, I’m sure at these moments, I don’t reflect God’s image but reflect someone whose life needs to be much more “moldable” in God’s hands.

In God’s hands is where my life needs to be…whether my grandson is watching or those I come in contact with every day.  Only His hands are capable of filing off those rough edges of mine and softening my heart to make it much more pliable.  I so desperately desire to reflect His image but that isn’t possible as long as I allow my hands to take control. 

Oh how I look forward to those moments when my grandson crawls up in my lap and I get to hold him in my hands.  How much more God must enjoy it when I crawl up into His lap and allow Him to hold me in His hands.  That’s a place I need to be every moment of every day so that others will want to know Him because they know me.

“For the life of every living thing is in his hand,
and the breath of every human being.”
Job 12:10

No comments:

Post a Comment