Monday, November 30, 2015

MMM – Could It Get Any Better?

If you are hoping that today’s thoughts are deeply theological…you will be disappointed.  I just feel like sharing with you something that’s been rambling in my head the past couple of days.

I’m confident that I’ve mentioned once or twice that we have an amazing, adorable, super smart and dearly loved grandson, Elias.  He is 18 months old and filled to the brim with orneriness.  His eyes just sparkle and his huge grin sure makes my heart melt.

It seems like every time we see Eli, he is doing or saying something new.  But what he began doing this past week, not only made my heart melt but also brought a few tears to my eyes.  For quite awhile now, he has come to me and patted my leg and then signed “please” (his parents are teaching him sign language, English and Mandarin).  I quickly learned that this meant that he wanted to sit on my lap, which of course thrilled me.  But this past week, he has ramped up the enthusiasm when we are with him and he now raises his arms straight up in the air as he runs as fast as he can towards my husband or me.  Once he gets to one of us, he throws his arms around us and gives us a hug and then plants a kiss on our cheek.  Could life get any better than that?

Another first that we witnessed recently occurred when it was time for Eli to leave to go home.  He hugged me tight and melted into tears because he wanted to stay longer.  Let’s just say that his eyes weren’t the only ones that were leaking that night J

Elias’ show of affection for us is such a bright spot in our day and this got me thinking.  Is this the kind of affection that I show my Heavenly Father every day?  Do I race to get to my place every morning where I spend time in His Word and in prayer?  By my actions, am I showing Him how much I love Him…or do I act like our time together is a drudgery that I just want to get done with so I can go on with my day?   Do I ever enjoy my time with Him so much that I feel deep sadness when I have to stop reading His Word because of my day’s obligations?

I wish I could honestly answer “YES” to each of these questions, but I can’t.  As I grow in Him, I’m having more and more days where I can say “YES”, but I know that He wants me to feel this way every day.  I know it must bring Him such joy when He sees me anxious and excited to spend time with Him…and deep sadness when He doesn’t.

In just a few short weeks we will celebrate Christmas and many of us are spending hours trying to find the perfect gifts for those we love.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with that, but we need to make sure that we are also seeking the perfect gift for the One whose birthday we are celebrating.  I just have a feeling that what He wants from us can’t be bought in a store or ordered online.  I’m guessing the ideal gift for Him would include showing Him how much we love Him, by spending time in His presence…wrapping our arms around Him and holding on tight. 

We are so excited that in March we will welcome another grandson into our family when Elias becomes a big brother.  We just couldn’t be more thrilled and can hardly wait for his arrival.  But there is another arrival that we should be even more excited about and that is the return of our Lord.  Just as we are counting the days until our grandson arrives, we should be counting the days until Christ returns for His sons and daughters.  We don’t know when this will be, but we know it will happen and we dare not waste any time preparing for His return.  There are many who don’t have a clue that this day is on the horizon and so it is priority that we focus on spreading the word that He is coming again.

I wonder sometimes why I find it easy to brag about Elias, but often fail to tell others
about everything that Christ has done for me.  He has impressed on me that as I go through this Christmas season, I need to make sure others see that my passion and love for the newborn King far exceeds my love for things of this world.  But for the world to see Him in me, it is imperative that I run to His open arms every day, spending time in His presence.  Time not given with drudgery, but with a deep longing to show Him what He means to me.  I bet if that is my desire, I just might shed a tear or two when the time comes to leave my quiet place to begin my day, because life just couldn’t get any better than spending time with Him!

Jesus replied, "'You must love the LORD your God
with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.'

Matthew 22:37

No comments:

Post a Comment