Monday, December 7, 2015

Monday Morning Memo: Living in Expectation!

Confession time once again.  I have been known to be somewhat of a party pooper at Christmas time.  I’m one of those people that gets so irked that stores have Christmas decorations out in September that it makes me not want to put anything out by the time December rolls around.  Call me lazy…but if I do decide to make our home look somewhat like a holiday is on the horizon…I’m usually thinking about all the work it is going to take to put everything away…while I’m putting it out.

But for some reason, this year has been different.  I actually wanted to put the tree up and decorate it AND I did it in November!  I know…call me wild and crazy J

Now I have to admit that putting the tree up was just about all I have done, but it was enough to get me excited that it won’t be long until we are celebrating Christ’s birth.  I actually feel a little giddy.  The reason for the season is HIM, and every time I think about His amazing entrance into the world, I can feel my pulse quicken a little bit.

I’m starting to think that maybe one of the reasons my attitude is different this year is because there is so much darkness in our world.  Everywhere we turn, we hear of another tragedy and thinking positively about anything can become a chore.  But I’ve come to realize that thinking about an event that was miraculous, spectacular and life changing is helping me focus on the truth.  It’s giving me hope that this babe, who was born in a stable, was part of a plan.  He was born for me and for you!  He was born so that He could die for our sins and He rose again so that we can have eternal life with Him.  What an awesome time to celebrate and to share with others that this baby came to give us hope, even when darkness is all around us.

Are you going through each day this month in expectation of celebrating His birth, or is fear consuming your every thought?  I would love to encourage you to keep your eyes focused on the reason for this season and allow the precious babe that was born to give you hope.

While I was thinking of writing this devotional, I came upon the following words from the Mariners Church that just spoke to my soul and expressed exactly how I was feeling.  I hope they will also speak to you.



“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
Isaiah 9:6


No comments:

Post a Comment