Monday, December 21, 2015

Monday Morning Memo: It's All About Him

“It’s not about you.”  If that statement sounds familiar, it probably means you have read Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life.  It is the very first sentence in chapter 1.  He goes on to say, “The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, your peace of mind, or even your happiness.  It’s far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dreams and ambitions.  If you want to know why you were placed on this planet, you must begin with God.  You were born by his purpose and for his purpose.”

Warren’s words have been coming to mind often this past week as I’ve been trying to prepare my heart and mind for Christmas.  Unfortunately, of all the holidays that we celebrate, I’m guessing that Christmas is probably one of the hardest for many to realize that it’s not about us.  All we have to do is turn on the television, the radio, open up one of the zillions of ads that we are bombarded with and we are told over and over again what WE need.  We need to buy this…we have to have that…we need to make sure and include this on our Christmas list.  We won’t be happy and our life just won’t be complete unless the gifts under the tree are exactly what we want.

I can’t believe that this is what God had in mind when He sent his Son into the world on that night so long ago.  I can’t imagine that His plan was to have his Son born, so that once a year I can be selfish and hope I am showered with gifts.  If that is what His desire was, He wouldn’t have even had to have a baby be born…He could have just started a tradition of a day that we celebrate called, “ME-DAY”.

I was thinking the other day about what it would be like if, several weeks before my birthday, my family would come to me and give me lists of what they want me to buy for them to celebrate the day I was born.   What if when my day arrives, they all run in and say, “What did you get me?  Where are my gifts?  What are we going to do to celebrate me?”  I’m guessing I just might be a little hurt.  I’m guessing I might feel somewhat neglected…somewhat disappointed in those who I thought loved me.

I wonder then how Jesus feels when we hand Him our lists of what we want.  When we hound him over and over again, telling Him what He needs to do for us and with what He needs to bless us.  I wonder if He feels a little hurt.  I wonder if He feels a little neglected…maybe disappointed in us for saying that He means the world to us, but showing something different with our actions.

I think it is time for me to take a step back and realize that Christmas is not about me.  Unfortunately, it’s not about you either.  It is all about Him.  The precious, tiny baby Jesus entered this world because of His great love for us.  He entered this world so that He would grow up to become a very important part of history.  His story is one of truth, hope and love for you and for me.  His life entered this world so that one day He could pay the price for the things we have done wrong.  His life brought us salvation and He was willing to sacrifice everything He had for you and for me.

Doesn’t it make sense then that Christmas, His birthday, should be all about Him?  I happen to think it does. 

As we go through this week leading up to Jesus’ birthday, let’s make a point to ask Him what He wants from us.  Let’s inquire of Jesus of what we can do for Him to celebrate His day.  Let’s do everything we can to show Him, not just with our words but also with our actions, just how much we love Him.  He should be the guest of honor of our celebration so let’s make sure He knows that it IS all about Him.  

  
“There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. Suddenly, God’s angel stood among them and God’s glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, “Don’t be afraid. I’m here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David’s town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. This is what you’re to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger.”
                                                        Luke 2:8-12 The Message

O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
Christ the Lord!

For He alone is worthy
For He alone is worthy
For He alone is worthy

Christ the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment