Monday, March 7, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: At His Feet

Mary and Martha.  What a pair they were.  Martha was always running around making sure everything was just perfect while Mary was more interested in spending time with her guest.  I used to wonder if Mary was just lazy and knew that she probably couldn’t do anything to please Martha anyway, so she opted to just take a chair instead.

Up until the last couple of years, I’ve related very well with Martha.  I understood her desire to keep all her plates spinning at the same time…priding herself in the fact that none of them crashed to the ground.  I’m guessing she took great satisfaction in making sure everything was crossed off her list at the end of each day; and was very frustrated when it wasn’t.

Mary, on the other hand, was someone I couldn’t relate to.  How in the world could she just sit there when she knew that there were potatoes to peel and bread to bake?  I mean, guests were coming and what would they think if they arrived and everything wasn’t in order.  How embarrassing!  She really needed to get her priorities in order.

Then…I began spending time in the oncology center with my in-laws.  I started seeing people come in for their treatment who were pale, thin and weak.  Obviously their lives had come to a screeching halt, as they had to learn a new “normal” which included many doctors’ appointments, needles and IV’s.  The things that used to seem so important to them on a daily basis, didn’t seem so critical anymore. 

Spending the hours that I have with my mother-in-law in this environment is changing me.  While I still love to have a list to work off of and look forward to crossing each task off, I’m starting to understand the importance of sitting still.  While accomplishing my tasks still gives me a level of satisfaction, time spent with Mary’s guest, my Lord Jesus Christ, is even more satisfying. 


As I was thinking about this last week, a friend of mine posted a video of her singing Christy Nockels song, “Find Me At The Feet of Jesus”.  The words brought tears to my eyes.

"Find Me At The Feet Of Jesus"

Lord, here I am
You have all of me
Take the world
You are all I need
Find me, find me at the feet of Jesus
Savior, find me with my heart bowed down
Find me on my knees
Find me close to Thee
Find me at the feet of Jesus
Lord, I belong to You
You have my heart
My only hope is You
And everything You are
I can almost hear those angels singing, holy, holy
I can almost touch the heavens in their glory, glory

We live in a crazy world with so much chaos going on around us and as a result, it is easy to become too busy doing those things with no eternal value.  Because of this, it is critical that we grasp what is truly important.  For us to look more like Christ…for us to be a light in the deep darkness…we must spend time at Jesus’ feet, listening to what He has to teach us.  Only then will we be equipped and able to lead others to His saving grace.

 “Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet,
listening to what he taught.”
Luke 10:39

You can listen to this beautiful song at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GThyC6ZFUgI

No comments:

Post a Comment