Monday, October 3, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: A Heart Full of Praise

I was so surprised.  Well, I don’t think that word does it justice.  I was shocked, dumbfounded, confused and even speechless (and as many of you know…that is very unusual!).  Yes, it takes a lot to make me at a loss for words, but the event that occurred last Thursday did just that.

I had the day all planned.  Our daughter Megan and sons Elias and Ezekiel and our daughter-in-law Katie and daughter Emma were coming over and we were going to make applesauce.  Then, my sister and her husband from Atlanta were to arrive in time for dinner.  So the morning found me in the kitchen working on food for dinner that evening and I didn’t even hear Megan come in the front door.   I was startled when I heard “Hi” from behind me and turned around to see her carrying her things in.  I started walking towards her and that’s when the “shock” occurred.  Right behind Megan was our daughter Erica who had driven in from North Carolina to surprise us.  I just couldn’t believe my eyes!  My mouth dropped open and all I could do was utter “what?...how?...when?”  She had received a few unexpected days off from work and decided a trip home would be in order.  We just couldn’t have been more thrilled!

Fast forward to yesterday morning.  Our plan was that Erica would attend church with us and then we were going to eat together at a church lunch that was planned.  As we got out of our car in the parking lot, we looked over and we were surprised to see Megan and her boys also pulling in to join us.  Just when I thought we were done with unexpected events, Erica told us to turn around.  There walking up, was our son Adam and his wife Katie and our granddaughter Emma.  That’s when the tears started.  Our children had been scheming behind our backs and had been planning to join us for church to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, which is today.  The only thing that would have made the moment more perfect would have been if our son-in-law John could have joined us, but he was on duty at the hospital.

Our children informed us that any plans we had made for the day were now going to be changed.  We all worshipped together (which just made my heart swell) and then they took us out to lunch.  After we ate, we went to Adam and Katie’s home for a delicious dessert.   I just can’t put into words how much I enjoyed spending the day with those whom I dearly love.

We have been blessed with thirty-five years of memories together, which included the raising of these amazing kids of ours.  There were days when they were growing up when I felt like a successful mother…but if I’m honest…there were days when I just endured the day and couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Raising children is hard work and when you are a very imperfect mom, just getting through some days is an accomplishment.  I remember older moms telling me to enjoy every moment because in a flash, they would be grown up and on their own.  I knew those words were true…but hard to comprehend when you are in the heat of the battle with kids!

But sitting in church yesterday morning with my children and Dan, my soul mate for the past thirty-five years, I was overcome with the faithfulness of my Savior.  He has stepped in over and over again these past years and covered my inadequacies.  When I was powerless…He was powerful.  When I was weak…He was strong.  When I lacked wisdom…He was all knowing.  And when I fell woefully short of following His plan for my life…He extended grace way beyond what I deserved.

So today I want to give praise to my Lord and Savior for what He has done over the past years.  For the gifts of Adam, Erica and Megan…three children whom I couldn’t love more or be more proud…thank you so much for allowing me to be their mom.   For the gifts of John and Katie…my son-in-law and daughter-in-law…whom I have prayed for since Megan and Adam were born…thank you for answering my prayers with these two who are such amazing additions to our family.  For the gifts of Elias, Ezekiel and Emma…our most precious grandchildren…thank you for allowing me the privilege of being their grandma and having the opportunity to invest in their young lives. 

And for the gift of Dan…the man who was the answer to my prayers thirty-five years ago…to say thank you just seems so inadequate.  You blessed me with a man who has loved me when I was unlovable and undeserving and there are no words to express my thankfulness to you, my Heavenly Father, for allowing me to be his wife.  Without his love, strength and wisdom I know I wouldn’t be where I am today and I am blessed because you created him for me. 

My heart is full and overflowing and I am most thankful to be a child of the King.  May my life reflect His image as I continue to give Him praise for all He has done for me.

“That I might sing praises to you and not be silent.
    O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!”

Psalm 30:12

No comments:

Post a Comment