Monday, October 31, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Off The Grid

Well I survived.  I shared with my Facebook friends last Thursday that I was going off the grid for a few days.  No phone…no watch…no computer.  Anyone that knows me well knows that that is no easy task for me.  I love to keep in contact with friends and family through texts, calls and e-mails and I love to use my computer to write, so having to go three and a half days without the ability to do any of those things made me twitch a little bit.

The reason I was without these devices was because I attended the Brethren Way of Christ retreat for women.  One of the rules is that you are not to have anything with you that could be a distraction.  As we all know, it is common that whenever you are with another person or a group of people, texts are going off…phones are ringing…and many are searching the Internet.  So it makes sense that removing anything to do with social media is a wise choice.

I was sure that I would miss my phone the most, so I was surprised when that wasn’t the case.  More than anything, it really drove me nuts not having my watch on my wrist.  To not have a clue as to what time is was, made me go just a little stir crazy at times.  I wasn’t a girl scout growing up so I never received any training on telling time by where the sun was and I couldn’t go by how hungry I was…because I just might have eaten quite a bit of candy between meals.  As a result…I never really suffered from hunger.

These few days made me realize how often I look at my watch in a day’s time.  Over and over again I caught myself looking at my arm…only to see the pale, un-tanned skin where my watch usually resides.  Each time I glanced down and realized nothing was there…reminded me of why I was at this retreat.

These past days helped me realize how important it is to remove ourselves periodically from the chaos around us.  We live in a world where the tyranny of the urgent often dictates what we do next and that often leads us to feel somewhat chained to the clock.  We need to get this job done by a certain time…this child run to the next practice…this meal fixed so that another child can get to a game…this report done to share with the Finance Board at church…and this shower taken quickly so we can go to bed and do it all over again the next day.  And all the while…our texts are piling up, our phone is ringing and Google is calling our name to do another search.

No wonder many have high blood pressure and ulcers.  No wonder families are falling apart because members are all going different directions.  No wonder many have lost their focus and have become too busy to spend time with their Savior.

I learned a song at the retreat that shook me to the core every time we sung it.  I had never heard it before but the lyrics brought such soothing to my very harried soul.  It helped my frazzled mind become focused once again as to what is really important.  I urge you to listen to the song at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGRCjWNwAg0.

My prayer is that if you find yourself at the same place that I was when I left on this retreat, these words will bring healing to your tired soul.  Jesus is waiting for you at the river…all you have to do is meet Him there.  I can’t begin to tell you how much He longs to spend time with you and how badly He wants to carry your burdens for you. 



Don’t ever forget that He desperately loves you…
and so do I.

The River
By Brian Doerksen

To the river I am going
Bringing sins I cannot bear
Come and cleanse me, come forgive me
Lord I need to meet you there

In these waters, healing mercy
Flows with freedom from despair
I am going, to that river
Lord I need to meet you there

Precious Jesus, I am ready
To surrender every care
Take my hand now, lead me closer
Lord I need to meet you there

Come and join us, in the river
Come find life beyond compare
He is calling, He is waiting

Jesus longs to meet you there

No comments:

Post a Comment