Monday, March 25, 2019

Monday Morning Memo: Heavenly Prime

I have no idea how you are…but you have probably figured out by now that I’m not a good “wait-er”.  If I get in my head that something should happen, I usually think it should happen now. Or better yet…it should have happened yesterday!

I think I can blame our world for some of the reasons I feel this way because we live in an instant society.  Many things I own in my kitchen, are there because I want to do things faster.  I own an electric mixer because I don’t want to take the time to stir something by hand.  I own a microwave, because heaven forbid, I would have to wait for something to heat up on the stove.  I own an instant pot, because I want to cook our meal in the fraction of the time that it would take in the oven.  

Add Amazon Prime into my life, and I usually don’t have to wait more than 48 hours to have something delivered to my door.  Doesn’t it just fry your goose when you go to order something and it says it can’t be sent Amazon Prime?  You mean I have to wait 3 additional days for it to ship?  Outrageous!

Don’t you wish God had Amazon Prime?  Oh, I’m sure it wouldn’t be called that, but it could be called Heavenly Prime.  When we need an answer quickly, we could just get on our computer…pull up www.heavenlyprime...put our order in and within 48 hours our prayer would be answered.  We could even sign up for updates to be sent to us so we would know exactly when our answer would arrive.  Oh, and if the answer we received wasn’t exactly what we thought it should be, we could send it back, no questions asked.  Ahhhh, what a life that would be!

But that’s not reality, is it?  Unfortunately, many times in our lives the only answer we receive from God is to wait. Ughhhh, I often find that difficult to do.   “Wait patiently for the Lord.  Be brave and courageous.  Yes, wait patiently for the Lord” Psalm 27:14.  “Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act”Psalm 37:7a.  “But if we look forward to something we don’t yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently” Romans 8:25. “Then Abraham waited patiently, and he received what God had promised” Hebrews 6:15.  Those verses are just a few reminders of how we should wait. 

My difficulty in waiting pretty much goes along with my times when I lack trust…which I wrote about last week.  One feeds the other.  But I’m thinking that each time we can successfully wait on God…trusting His timing and His answers…we get one step closer to looking like Him.  And isn’t that what our goal should be?

I shared last week that I was going to really work on trusting God…no ands, ifs or buts…and I think I did much better these past days.  But I’m here to tell you that it wasn’t easy!  I told a friend one day that I felt like I was on the edge of a cliff and the Lord was whispering in my ear, “Do you trust me LuAnn?  Even in this situation…do you trust me?”  I found myself answering Him with the words, “Yes, Lord.  I will trust you…without any buts.”

I love the verses in Psalm 5:1-3 which say, “O Lord, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning.  Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for I pray to no one but you.  Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord.  Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.”  I find it amazing that the King of Kings wants to hear my requests (yes, even when I am groaning) and then I am to wait expectantly.  Because once I have fervently prayed to Him, I am to wait…believing that He will work all things for His good and His glory…and in His timing.  

Well, I still wish I could sign up for Heavenly Prime…but since I can’t…I’ll keep working on waiting, praying and believing.  My answers may not come in 48 hours…but whenever they show up…I’ll know they are perfect for me and won’t need returned!

No comments:

Post a Comment