Thursday, June 25, 2015

Liver Anyone?

Once in a while, while I was growing up, my mom would do the unthinkable.  She would make liver and onions for supper.  Oh how I hated to hear those words and smell the unmistakable aroma of it cooking.  To be honest, I'm not sure I ever even tasted it...I just knew that anything that looked that disgusting before it was cooked, had to taste horrific after it was cooked.

Then I did something unthinkable.  I married a man who also likes liver and onions because he grew up eating just about anything that could be taken from an animal.  He, of course, wanted to know when I was going to make this repulsive dish for him, but I held my ground.  I made it very clear that there were many dishes I would make for him but liver and onions was NOT on my list!

Then, we started getting a half a beef at a time from a friend of ours who raises calves and that meant that liver was in the assortment of meat when we picked it up.  Now it was in my freezer...staring at me...and Dan knew it.  Finally, after talking to my mom about it and getting her secret on how to make it edible, I gave in and made Dan very happy one night when I placed it on the table.  He loved it...and I choked it down.

After that night, he didn't get it often for dinner but at least I made it periodically.  Over time, I began to realize something.  What I thought was so sickening, wasn't so bad after all.  I don't know if my taste buds had died or if I was really beginning to like the taste, but when I reached for a second piece one night Dan knew I had come over to his side.  Once again...he had won :-)

Of course our kids wouldn't think of consuming it when they lived at home and still won't to this day.  But I'm still holding out hope that maybe, just maybe, they will change their minds someday.

As I was fixing liver and onions a few nights ago, I was thinking about my "journey" with this organ meat and it made me think of the things that the Lord asks me to do and I stand my ground and tell Him no.  He tells me to just try to do something new, but I resist and turn my nose up at it without even giving it a try.  Makes me wonder what I have missed out on in my life, just because I wouldn't do what He wanted me to do.  Maybe the next time He nudges me to step out and try something new, I'll remember how much I now like liver and onions.  

BTW...in case you are wondering what secret for cooking liver and onions my mom passed on to me...here it is.  Flour, salt and pepper each piece and brown both sides in a skillet.  Then add lots of onions over the top of the meat and turn your heat down to simmer.  Then (and this is her secret) lightly sprinkle sugar over the top.  This takes out any strong taste that might be present.  When onions become soft, put the pieces of liver on top of the onions so they can caramelize in the skillet.  Simmer until meat is fork tender and enjoy!

And what you end up with is something that is ooohhhh so good!

P.S. I'm still standing my ground and refusing to fix tongue for Dan and after 34 years, I doubt I'm going to ever give in.  I refuse to fix something that looks like it will lick me before I      can get it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment