Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday Morning Memo: Being a "Do-Bee" Part 2


I shared with you last Monday in “Being a ‘Do-Bee” Part 1 that when I was growing up, there was a program that I loved to watch.  The show was Romper Room, which was a children’s program that ran in the United States from 1953 – 1994.  I learned so much from the hostess as she interacted with Mr. Do-Bee and Mr. Don’t Bee, as they taught their viewers how to behave and how not to behave!

There was another segment of this show that I looked forward to watching.  At the end of each episode, the hostess would get her magic mirror and recite this saying, 

“Romper, bomper, stomper boo. 
Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. 
Magic Mirror, tell me today, 
have all my friends had fun at play?" 

and then she would call out names of children that she could supposedly see in their homes, through her magic mirror.  I can still remember sitting on the floor with my eyes glued to the television set, while my ears strained to hear if my name would be called.  She would say that she saw Susie and Chris and Jennifer and Tommy and Mary and Danny and I could go on and on with the names I heard listed.  Unfortunately, not once did I ever hear my name spoken.  Even though I loved watching this program, this magic mirror ending always left me feeling just a little sad, since she never “saw” me as one of her faithful followers.

In case you are wondering, I have gotten over this huge disappointment from my childhood, but it has made me think of a couple things as I have reflected on those years.  First of all, I wonder how many children and adults there are in our communities who feel invisible.  They watch others with their busy schedules day after day, and they just wait for someone to notice them.  They wait for someone to call out their name and confirm their existence.  They wait, sometimes hour after hour, for anyone to prove to them that they have worth and that they are loved.

I believe that there are many who feel this way.  Everyone has a desire to hear their name spoken by someone who truly cares and you and I just might be that person that can satisfy their need.  But we have to be willing to “see” them…truly see them for who they are and for their worth in Christ.  All of us were created in His image, but there are some who may never know that unless we are willing to share it with them.

The other point to this “magic mirror” that has been rattling around in my head this week has been…what if there really was a magic mirror?  What if each of us owned one and others could magically see how we behaved, not just on Sunday, but also Monday through Saturday.  Would any of us act any differently if we knew we were being watched?  Would we make the same choices…would we speak with the same words…would we go the same places?

I’m guessing for many of us, we might at least give a little more thought to our choices if we knew we were being watched.  Ironically, we are being watched every minute of every day…yet we don’t seem to always remember.  We can keep no secrets from God but yet we sometimes behave in such a way that we think He has blinders on and is oblivious to our actions.

Also, if we could see into others’ lives to know what goes on behind their closed doors, would we possibly be a little kinder…a little more understanding…a little more loving?  Rarely do we really know what others face on a daily basis and it is so easy for us to judge and condemn without really having a clue as to what they face day in and day out.

As I think about all this, I guess my thoughts on the “magic mirror” really go back to whether I’m truly willing to be a “Do-Bee” for God.  If I am, then I will take the time to notice those around me who need to hear me call their name.  I will make daily choices that please my Lord, whether anyone is watching or not.  Furthermore, I will be much more sensitive to how I respond to those with whom I come in contact, realizing that what they are facing may be more difficult than I can even imagine.

So for the second week in a row, I’m being convicted that I need to be willing to be a “Do-Bee” for God.  In the light of the day, or the darkness of the night, every moment of my life needs to bring Him honor and glory.  It may not always be easy, but the reward will come if He calls me home and tells me, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.  I’m so proud that you chose to be a ‘Do Bee’ for me.”

“Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do,
because you are his dear children. 
Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ.
He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us,
a pleasing aroma to God.”

Ephesians 5:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment