Monday, July 13, 2015

MMM (Monday Morning Memo) 7.13.15

I am currently reading in Psalms in my daily time with the Lord.  It never ceases to amaze me how, no matter how many times certain verses are read, phrases can “jump off the page” at me as if they are brand new.

This happened as I read Psalm 51 this past week.  It is a very well known chapter, where David throws himself on the mercy of God asking to be made clean again following his sin with Bathsheba.  Not only did he commit adultery, but his sins also included lying and murder.  David takes responsibility for his actions in this chapter, blaming no one else, when he speaks about “my sins” (vs 1), “my guilt” (vs 2) and “my rebellion” (vs 3).

What struck me as I read this chapter was that David didn’t just stop at asking for forgiveness.  He realized that just begging for mercy and asking to be made clean again, probably wasn’t going to be enough to keep him on the straight and narrow during the days to come.  I think he knew that as devastating as his actions were and with the deep guilt that he was feeling, he needed God to not just cleanse him, but also restore his joy.  The first part of verse 12 states, “Restore to me the joy of your salvation”.  David remembered the joy that he used to have when he was walking in fellowship with God and he knew it was important to regain that joy again.  Otherwise it would be easy to just live the rest of his days filled with regrets.

The second part of verse 12 really caught my attention.  After asking for God to restore his joy, David stated, “and make me willing to obey you.”  Wow.  What a powerful statement.  David didn’t just desire to live in obedience because he was commanded to; he wanted to want to do what God asked of him.  In my thoughts, that is taking his confession and requests to an entirely new level.  In other words, he didn’t just want status quo; he wanted a vibrant, joy-filled walk with God, filled with a burning desire to do His will.  That’s what being a Christ follower looks like.

What a great example for us to follow.  How many times do we confess our sins, but then just keep reliving them over and over in our mind?  Instead of asking God to fill us anew with His joy, we wallow in our past mistakes, bringing them up over and over again.  We are forgiven, but you would never know it by our actions.

How often do we ask God to make us willing to obey Him?  I have to admit that those words haven’t come from my mouth too often.  But if I am going to be someone who reflects the image of God, then I need to have a burning desire to obey Him at all cost.  If I’m honest I know that, because of my human nature, I probably can’t do that without His help.

Where are you today on your journey with God?  Do you have sin that needs to be confessed?  Have you asked for forgiveness, but still are living in the past?  Are you ready to ask Him to make you willing to obey? I don’t know about you, but I have work to do in this area.  I know with God, all things are possible, so I’m going to trust Him to cleanse me, fill me with His joy and then give me the strength, courage and wisdom to willingly obey.  Will you join me?

“Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. 
Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins.
Wash me clean from my guilt.  Purify me from my sin.
For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night.
Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
and your judgment against me is just.
For I was born a sinner—
yes, from the moment my mother conceived me. 
But you desire honesty from the womb, 
teaching me wisdom even there.
Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; 
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me—
now let me rejoice.
Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt.
Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Do not banish me from your presence, 
and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
 and make me willing to obey you.”
Psalm 51:1-12




No comments:

Post a Comment