Monday, July 27, 2015

MMM - Monday Morning Memo

I’ve been seeing a lot of posts on Facebook recently about people being all excited because they were going to camp.  Some included pictures of kids on their way to camp and some were of adults who were giving of their precious time to be counselors.

So not to be outdone, I decided last week that I would also go to camp.  Now, anyone that really knows me well would probably be quite shocked at my decision.  The reason for that is that I am not a camper nor would I make a good camp counselor.  I think everyone needs to know their strengths and weaknesses and trust me on this…this girl is not gifted in this area.  Just hearing the word “camp” or even worse the word “camping” makes my stomach hurt a little bit….ok it makes it hurt a lot.  My idea of camping is a nice hotel with indoor plumbing :-)

Maybe at this point I need to clarify what kind of camp I attended last week.  It was called “Joint Camp”.  Now I’m sure you are all feeling just a little jealous right now but I’m confident you will get over it.  If you read my post entitled, “Bitter or Better” (July 15th) you know that my 87-year-old mother-in-law is having knee replacement surgery today.  One of the “joys” of having this done is the opportunity to attend Joint Camp.

I’ll be honest, I probably could have listed 100 things I would have rather been doing than attend this camp.  My idea of fun didn’t include spending three hours in the orthopedic hospital waiting for the medical staff to give us details of what was to come.  But as most things are in life, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  Each segment was very organized and informative.  In fact I walked out feeling like I had information overload!

Why is it that we are willing to do what we have to do to be informed and prepared for a surgery…but often resist spending the time to learn what God has prepared for us?  We may not be thrilled to spend time at Joint Camp, but we do it because we know it will be best for us in the long run.  We are willing to sacrifice our time and money to be healthier physically.  But even though we know spending time in God’s Word will also be best for us in the long run…making us spiritually healthier… we come up with every excuse under the sun as to why we just don’t have time to make it a priority.

Are you willing to do whatever it takes to be prepared for what God has in store for you?  I’m confident it will be well worth your time as you study His Word and allow His Spirit to fill you to the brim.  I don’t know about you, but I’m just glad that I don’t have to go away to camp to hear His voice!

Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment