Tuesday, July 28, 2015

She's UP!!

And she's off and running!  Well ok..she may not be running but she is doing great and amazing the physical therapists already.  This is my 87 year old mother-in-law, Alberta and she just had knee replacement surgery yesterday.  

This woman has more determination in her little finger than I have in my whole body.  She can already get her knee to 78 degrees (I think that's what they called it!) which the therapist said was really good.  She is walking to and from the bathroom and took a short walk in the hall this morning and is now resting before another therapy session this afternoon.

Her pain meds from surgery were all worn off by this morning and she realized how much pain her new knee could cause her.  But with a gutsy look, she did what was asked of her and said, "Well I knew it was going to hurt, but I also know it will get better."  Yes she has strength that makes me marvel.

I have to be honest, watching her makes me ashamed of how I have whined at times because of where my journey has led me.  Instead of facing adversities with strength and courage and knowing that the days may be rough, but also knowing things would get better, I have wallowed in my time of distress.  As I've listened to the  nurses and therapists comment today on Mom's positive attitude and the inner strength she exudes, I've realized what an impact our attitude choices can have on those around us.  People are watching and listening and we have an opportunity every day to shine God's light with each of our steps. Even if we are at a place we don't want to be...we can still let others see Him in us!

2 comments:

  1. Please don't make her think she has to go without pain meds post op. She will need them to do PT comfortably and to get rest at night. She may be amazing but there is a limit. If she feels she is getting to much she can always ask for a smaller amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your thoughts! Oh yes, she is on pain meds and will continue to be for as long as she needs them! The therapists are telling her that she will have pain, even with the meds, which she is fully aware of. But at 87, she has a lot of determination to do her very best during her time of cooperation!

      Delete